Date: Tue, 19 Jun 2012 23:11:05 -0400
From:  <jfoug@....net>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Cc: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
Subject: Re: Record Loaded hashes/salts with current interface

---- Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com> wrote:

>> i.e. as explained above, 'which' pointer, there are 50 or so of them ;)
>
> Yet I think you can store the pointer in init() and use it in reset(),
> without having it as a parameter to reset().  The "thin" formats will
> have their (shared) init() called one by one, so the global pointer
> should be right at the time of reset().  No?

>From my debugging today, I would have to answer no, at least not in all cases.  If the format that we 'want' to use is a thin format, and if the -format= command line was not used (meaning that ALL formats get loaded), then that static (global) pointer is left 'using' the private data pointer from that last format.

It may be that I can rework the thin formats, and get around this problem.  But a reset() function, that provided the proper format (with the 'private' data pointer), would certainly provide what is needed.

Not a huge priority.  I will still work on other alternatives.   This function would also be nice to signal that the end of self tests, and the start of real work.

Jim.