Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2012 06:22:35 +0400
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Record Loaded hashes/salts with current interface

On Tue, Jun 19, 2012 at 09:56:53PM -0400, jfoug@....net wrote:
> Within dynamic (which is a really a polymorphic format), if there is no
> -format=dynamic_XXX used, then init is called for every type dynamic, every
> dynamic within the dynamic.conf, and for each 'thin' format.    The format
> itself requires information ABOUT the exact instance of the format structure.
> This instance is stored into a data object within the code of the format, so it
> knows specifics about HOW it is supposed to run.
>
> The problem stems from the 'thin' formats. Within these formats, they call
> init() to properly link into the 'real' underlying format.

Yes, I do recall why we had introduced that pointer to object thing.

> However, this leaves the full dynamic format in a bad state (or it can leave it
> in a bad state).  A call such as this, after JtR figures out exactly which
> single format IS going to be used, would eliminate the issues I am having.

OK.  I think I'll call it reset().

> > > If you do it, PLEASE pass in an pointer to the format object, like in
> valid(), prepare(), init().
> >
> > Why pass that pointer?  This method would only be callable after init()
> > anyway, so your code for it could use the pointer recorded from init()
>
> i.e. as explained above, 'which' pointer, there are 50 or so of them ;)

Yet I think you can store the pointer in init() and use it in reset(),
without having it as a parameter to reset().  The "thin" formats will
have their (shared) init() called one by one, so the global pointer
should be right at the time of reset().  No?

Alexander