Date: Tue, 19 Jun 2012 22:07:20 +0200
From: magnum <john.magnum@...hmail.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: RFC: Add --list=format-details support?

On 2012-06-19 18:56, Frank Dittrich wrote:
> The attached patch is not intended to be applied as-is.

Ah, you know I'm trigger-happy :)

> May be other format details than those I picked are more important (or
> interesting as well), may be I should't use %d to printf
> format->params.flags, may be I should print format->params.format_name
> as the last column instead of as the second column, and so on.

The reason I do like to commit experimental patches like this one is
that otherwise I'll never *really* test it.

> May be we just replace the current --list=formats output

I think not. They have different use scenarios. I think this is fine.

> $ ./john --list=format-details |grep "^s" |cut -f 1,2,4
> salted-sha1	Salted SHA-1	39
> sapb	SAP CODVN B (BCODE)	8
> sapg	SAP CODVN F/G (PASSCODE)	83
> sha1-gen	Generic salted SHA-1	125
> sip	SIP	32
> sybasease	sybasease	64
> ssh	SSH	32
>
> I think that output is easy to parse and could provide useful
> information for a GUI.

IMO we should just commit it and get a feel for it. It's not altering
anything important like the wordlist dupe suppression :p

> One more problem is that the plaintext size is listed in bytes, while
> from a user perspective, the maximum password length supported by a
> format is more interesting.
> (E.g., for SAP CODVN F, the maximum length is 40 characters, the input
> is expected to be utf-8. So in most cases (but not always) 83 bytes will
> be sufficient.)

This can be tricky. Although for most formats, the announced
PLAINTEXT_SIZE *is* in characters until you give -enc=utf8 and have
called the formats' init(). So I believe what you announce is pretty
much correct.

magnum