Date: Tue, 19 Jun 2012 18:56:03 +0200
From: Frank Dittrich <frank_dittrich@...mail.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: RFC: Add --list=format-details support?

The attached patch is not intended to be applied as-is.

May be other format details than those I picked are more important (or
interesting as well), may be I should't use %d to printf
format->params.flags, may be I should print format->params.format_name
as the last column instead of as the second column, and so on.

May be we just replace the current --list=formats output

$ ./john --list=formats
des, bsdi, md5, bf, afs, lm, dynamic_n, bfegg, crc32, dmd5, dominosec, epi,
episerver, gost, hdaa, ipb2, keychain, krb4, krb5, lotus5, md4-gen,

with a more detailed output similar to the one I implemented here:

$ ./john --list=format-details |grep "^s" |cut -f 1,2,4
salted-sha1	Salted SHA-1	39
sapb	SAP CODVN B (BCODE)	8
sapg	SAP CODVN F/G (PASSCODE)	83
sha1-gen	Generic salted SHA-1	125
sip	SIP	32
sybasease	sybasease	64
ssh	SSH	32

I think that output is easy to parse and could provide useful
information for a GUI.

One more problem is that the plaintext size is listed in bytes, while
from a user perspective, the maximum password length supported by a
format is more interesting.
(E.g., for SAP CODVN F, the maximum length is 40 characters, the input
is expected to be utf-8. So in most cases (but not always) 83 bytes will
be sufficient.)

What do you think?

Frank

View attachment "0001-Add-list-format-details.patch" of type "text/x-patch" (1860 bytes)