Date: Tue, 19 Jun 2012 21:00:51 +0400
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: bf-opencl

On Tue, Jun 19, 2012 at 08:16:14PM +0530, SAYANTAN DATTA wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 19, 2012 at 6:19 AM, Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com> wrote:
>
> > kernel.panic = 20
> > kernel.panic_on_oops = 1
>
> What does the above two panic parameter mean?

RB is correct: they ask the kernel to reboot in 20 seconds after an "Oops"
(Linux's name for unexpected kernel-mode fault).

> I think 12.4 is the first official driver for 7970. So I guess we should
> wait for a driver update(12.6 beta is available).

I think 12.3 was the first official for 7970.  But you're right, the
issue might be gone after a few driver updates.

> BTW Can I OC the card using ssh?

I'd need to grant you root access (or sudo or the like) for that, and
then you'd need to coordinate with other users of the box (so that their
benchmarks are not unexpectedly affected by weird clocks).  Do you
really need to?  I think my one-time experiment is sufficient for now,
and we don't want to introduce yet another unknown.

> BTW currently I'm working on a version that could make some use of global
> memory along with the LDS. If it is comes out any faster then I'll post it .
> Although I can run two instances of john , one on global memory and one on
> LDS but the net results aren't very good. So I would try comibine them
> under same kernel.

It'd be best if you leave a way to compile this as LDS-only, much like
your current code is.

I think greater speedup may be possible from reviewing and somehow
tuning the generated code (IL or even actual GCN instructions).  Maybe
this should even be written in IL.  The lack of documentation on GCN
makes this difficult, though, so ElcomSoft actually went in the opposite
direction for GCN (they just started using OpenCL this year).

Alexander