Date: Wed, 9 May 2012 18:36:45 +0400
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Sayantan: Weekly Report #3

On Wed, May 09, 2012 at 10:10:42AM +0530, SAYANTAN DATTA wrote:
> Sorry for being late in submitting the weekly report. My exams are
> officially over and I have shifted to my home town for my summer holidays.
> Thus from this week onwards I'll submit everything in time  and also
> dedicate a lot more hours in the project.

Sounds good.

> Priorities:
>
> 1. Design a function for dividing work among 2 GPUs.

Please note that this is your own project idea and your own choice to
work on it.  I don't mind - in fact, I'll try to provide helpful advice
as time permits - but this is low priority for our team this summer,
because at least in my opinion we need to consider and implement better
high-level approaches to parallelization first (not specific to GPUs).
That said, it is entirely possible that your effort will significantly
affect the way we approach the task of supporting multiple GPUs.  Even
relatively unsuccessful attempts may be helpful in this sense.

Have you already decided where you'll be dividing the work?  Will it be
specific to each format or will it be at a higher level?

> 2. Implement and test the function on bull.

Yes, please feel free to use bull's two GPUs for this.

> (However today I saw that Tahiti isn't online. Is there any problem?)

(Fixed.  More detail posted to the proper internal list.)

> 3. Create a seperate common_pbkdf2_opencl.c .
> 4. Create a wikipage explaining the interface for common_pbkdf2_opencl.

Great.  Do you also intend to make the source code cleaner?  Specifically,
perhaps move away from the manual unrolling to #define's or pragma.  (Or
have you already done that?  I haven't looked at your code for a while.)

> 5. Study blowfish.

You only need BF_std.c's most time-consuming loop.

> BTW I was considering  changing my OS to 64bit kubuntu/opensuse. Any
> suggestions which one would be better?

It depends on your goals.  I think Ubuntu is slightly more mainstream.
Do you want to be running into / avoiding the same issues that others
do, or do you want to have a different set of issues so that we as a
team find more bugs total and produce wiki instructions on GPU setup for
JtR for a wider variety of systems?

Thanks,

Alexander