Date: Wed, 18 Jan 2012 01:52:36 +0100
From: magnum <john.magnum@...hmail.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Recent CVS patches

On 01/17/2012 11:24 PM, magnum wrote:
> On 01/17/2012 06:43 PM, magnum wrote:
>> On 01/17/2012 04:14 PM, magnum wrote:
>> I'm only 99% sure what is happening but the enclosed patch removes 267
>> complaint contexts from Valgrind in Jumbo (but these problems did not
>> result in any test fails). There are still a couple of problems
>> (actually 14, including trip as described below) but these I think are
>> actual bugs in the formats and false positives.
>
> I feel more confident now, this is definately a correct fix and it's
> only an issue for Jumbo. The array index was an unnecessary complicated
> way to say 0 though, this is the final line I'll be using:
>
> if (salts == 1) format->methods.set_salt(two_salts[0]);

I'm moving this call further up, before calling bench_set_keys() and
without the "if". This gets rid of the rest of Valgrind's complaints
except for a couple of "Conditional jump or move depends on
uninitialised value(s)" that may be .

For example, KRB4 has this in top of set_key():

        if (saved_salt->realm[0] != '\0')

...and saved_salt is just a pointer to the memory that bench.c allocated
and then freed.

magnum