Date: Fri, 2 Dec 2011 07:23:27 +0400
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: testing -xop targets

On Wed, Nov 30, 2011 at 04:44:10AM +0400, Solar Designer wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 11, 2011 at 08:11:44PM +0400, Solar Designer wrote:
> > I am unaware of an equivalent for XOP, unfortunately.  AMD's SimNow
> > appears to emulate an entire system only (so is more difficult to use)
> > and it appears to lack XOP support at this time anyway.
> >
> > http://developer.amd.com/tools/simnow/Pages/default.aspx
>
> New version of Bochs claims to emulate XOP (as well as AVX):
>
> http://bochs.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/bochs/tags/REL_2_5_FINAL/bochs/CHANGES
>
> "- Implemented support for AMD SSE4A/XOP/FMA4/TBM instruction sets"
>
> We need to try this out.

Here's a correction: SimNow _does_ support XOP, but is reported to be
slower and less usable than Bochs here:

http://www.linux.org.ru/news/opensource/7069120/page1?lastmod=1322795649512#comment-7076956

(in Russian).

With either SimNow or Bochs, we have to use a full OS install (unlike
with Intel SDE, which can run individual userspace programs), and this
OS has to have XSAVE support (e.g., a recent enough Linux distro) if our
goal is testing of XOP code.

Alexander