Date: Tue, 08 Nov 2011 19:38:33 +0100
From: magnum <john.magnum@...hmail.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: numbered patches

2011-11-08 19:14, Solar Designer wrote:
> I think we should be more careful in naming these patches. Maybe the
> numbers should not reset to 0001 after each jumbo? Maybe we should
> create a new subdir after each jumbo and place the files in there
> consistently?

Not resetting the number would be very confusing to everyone, including
ourselves. The current scheme is actually pretty logical.

A new namespace per Jumbo is a good idea BUT as you already noticed, we
sometimes forget to change namespace before uploading.

> Also, I think we need to use another table on the wiki page for the many
> numbered patches that are meant for inclusion in next jumbo - perhaps
> below the table with patches aimed at end-users.  Otherwise e.g. the GPU
> patches become hard to find.

This is no problem. Actually, it could be a separate page. And maybe
that would solve the forgotten-namespace problem: If the *page* for
jumbo-8 incremental patches is already in a :john:john-1.7.8:jumbo8
namespace, I presume any uploaded files to that page will default to
that namespace too?

> Of course, git will be the proper solution...  but the above suggestions
> may help for now.

Though I would prefer it to stay an utter mess, forcing you to put up a
git repo ;-)

magnum