Date: Tue, 8 Nov 2011 22:14:41 +0400
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: numbered patches

magnum, Jim -

This time, the post-j7 numbered patches are numerous, so I tried to be
smart in downloading them.  Unfortunately, the numbers overlap with
those for pre-j7 patches and the patch filenames do not consistently
include "-j7-" in them (some do, some don't).  Also, some patches are
under john/john-1.7.8/ and some are right in john/.  One idea I had was
to use "find -mtime" on the server, but this would catch obsoleted
patches too (there were a few that were replaced with newer revisions).
I ended up doing the following:

lftpget http://openwall.info/wiki/john/patches
vi patches # left only the needed portion
for u in `sed -rn 's/^.*a href="(\/[^?"]*)[?"].*$/\1/p' patches`; do lftpget http://openwall.info/$u; done

This worked, but going forward I think we should be more careful in
naming these patches.  Maybe the numbers should not reset to 0001 after
each jumbo?  Maybe we should create a new subdir after each jumbo and
place the files in there consistently?

Also, I think we need to use another table on the wiki page for the many
numbered patches that are meant for inclusion in next jumbo - perhaps
below the table with patches aimed at end-users.  Otherwise e.g. the GPU
patches become hard to find.

Of course, git will be the proper solution...  but the above suggestions
may help for now.

Alexander