Date: Fri, 05 Aug 2011 01:58:26 +0200
From: Samuele Giovanni Tonon <samu@...uxasylum.net>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: opencl patch for 1.7.8-jumbo5

On 08/05/11 01:32, Solar Designer wrote:
> Hi Samuele,
>
> On Thu, Aug 04, 2011 at 08:37:47PM +0200, Samuele Giovanni Tonon wrote:
>> i've just uploaded patch on the wiki :
>>
>> http://openwall.info/wiki/_media/john/john-1.7.8-jumbo-5-opencl-1.diff.bz2
>
> Thanks!  I notice that it's also listed in the table at
> http://openwall.info/wiki/john/patches , which is great.  Please post
> the latter URL and a brief description of your new patch to john-users.
> This is not development-only stuff, I think.  Someone may actually want
> to use this, whereas on the development side your patch stands on its
> own, not to be merged into -jumbo soon, right?  Or should we merge it,
> do you think?

we could try to merge it with jumbo, the only problem i see at the
moment is the lack to a proper nvidia/ati/opencl support on linux distro
but i hope it will be fixed soon.
I'm planning also to put some kind of documentation in the doc/ folder
to make it easier to understand

> There are approx. 10 times more subscribers on -users than on -dev
> (approx. 1180 vs. 90 last time I checked).

ok, i'll announce on john-user

>> This patch fix problems with john-1.7.8 as stated by groszek.
>
> What problems?  Perhaps not with 1.7.8, but with some other patch?
> Or do you mean groszek tried to forward-port your old patch revision to
> 1.7.8, but needed your help with that - so you took care of the update?

yes old patch needed some fixes to be applied to 1.7.8 .

Cheers
Samuele