Date: Fri, 5 Aug 2011 03:41:03 +0400
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: ?z character class vs. "valid character" class

magnum -

On Fri, Aug 05, 2011 at 01:32:41AM +0200, magnum wrote:
> What is the ?z (any character) class used for? Is it used anywhere, by
> anyone? It's current meaning is indeed *any* character, valid or not.
[...]
> Maybe it was meant for PP stuff, much like the ':'.

Exactly.  It's a no-op produced by some preprocessor expressions for
some of the expanded rules.  I have a to-do item to have JtR optimize
out such no-ops just like it does for ':' lately.

> Failing to hijack ?z, any other suggestion for a better letter?

Sorry, this is not relevant to the contest, so I am not willing to
think of it now. ;-)

Good idea re: a valid class, and your contributions are very welcome.
It's just that we're contest-focused right now.

Thanks,

Alexander