Date: Sun, 24 Jul 2011 18:51:42 -0500
From: "JimF" <jfoug@....net>
To: <john-dev@...ts.openwall.com>
Subject: Re: md5_gen(17)

It is not only valid.  It is also that prepare gets that pointer to the
format structure.  In a true polymorphic like md5_gen, you do not have the
data required all the time, only at certain points.

Now, I do copy the 'extra' data needed for the specific format into a global
within the format.  So it 'can' be accessed later, and this 'would' be
available in the split function.  So in hindsite, split 'could' be used, if
it was acceptable to spend more time on valid with extra complexity, along
with the complexity added to split.   However, the same extra complexity put
into split, if done in prepare, and the changes are done.  No extra work (or
chance of problems) in the valid function.

Jim.