Date: Sun, 24 Jul 2011 17:12:01 +0200
From: magnum <rawsmooth@...dband.net>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: patches page update

On 2011-07-24 16:04, Solar Designer wrote:
>> I think we should add a couple of LM
>> codepages too, like cp437, cp737, cp850 and cp866.
>
> Why do you call these LM?  cp866 was the most popular Cyrillic encoding
> under MS-DOS, but I doubt that Windows uses it for LM hashes, or does it?
> I'd expect Cyrillic versions of Windows to use cp1251 there, like they
> do in other places except when running DOS programs.

Yes, the OEM codepage is used for LM hashes, probably for historical
reasons (IBM, OS/2, Lan Manager and whatnot). I know of no other use for
these codepages in JtR, hence my wording.

Note that eg. Perl's Authen::Passphrase::LANManager does the wrong thing
when uppercasing non-ascii. Best is to feed it with raw data that is
already correctly cased and encoded, and make sure Perl does treat it as
raw.

> Is the primary reason for your patch file naming change that there were
> too many files in the john directory?

No, it's actually git's naming scheme. I just do "git format-patch xx"
and git will produce one patch per commit (since commit xx) and they
will be given names automatically from sequential numbering + commit
descriptions. Anyone else using git can apply all of them (perhaps not
Jim's 0004 though) in one fell swoop using "git am 00*.patch" and this
will end up as separate commits with full descriptions etc. just as they
were in my local repo - these commands were made for "pushing over email".

Still, the patches are compatible with traditional patch(1). If this is
acceptable to you, I can live with the wiki for another while :)

magnum