Date: Mon, 04 Jul 2011 23:45:18 +0300
From: Shinnok <admin@...nnok.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Johnny GUI design changes

Hi,

I did a somewhat important change to the GUI design and I thought it
would be nice to ask john-dev about it, so here it goes:

The application tabs(password, benchmarking, cracking options) have been
changed from a traditional tab interface to a more comfortable and
easier to grasp tab interface that now sits on the left side. I'll try
and make it movable and dockable just like the main toolbar is, but that
is no guarantee.

Screenshots:

Old traditional tab interface:
http://openwall.info/wiki/_detail/people/shinnok/johnny/johnny-gnome-unity-2.png?id=john%3AGUI&cache=cache
http://openwall.info/wiki/_detail/people/shinnok/johnny/johnny-gnome-unity-2.png?id=john%3AGUI&cache=cache

New tab interface:
http://trunk.shinnok.com/johnny/johnny-new-tab-interface-1.png
http://trunk.shinnok.com/johnny/johnny-new-tab-interface-2.png

This new approach takes away some of the bulkiness and complexity that
the traditional tab interface inflicts and makes it more user friendly
and warm feeling for new inexperienced users, while still adhering to
the same rule that everything should be accessible for the experienced
users at no more then on click or keyboard shortcut. Also this new
approach makes options and settings embedding easier, thus taking the
need for a preferences menu and dialog irrelevant.

Hashes and Passwords pages have been merged into a single one called
Passwords, since it doesn't really make sense to have two separate pages.

Single, Wordlist and Bruteforce tabs have been merged into a single one
called Options, that use stacked widgets to switch between them.

What do you think?

Suggestions are highly regarded too.

Regards,
Shinnok