Date: Mon, 4 Jul 2011 15:18:21 -0500
From: "JFoug" <jfoug@....net>
To: <john-dev@...ts.openwall.com>
Subject: Re: Was [john-users] Plugin formats "released"

Now that this has been released, I plan on basing any upcoming patches I
make, against this 'plugin version' of the jumbo.

As it was released by magnum, could easily be a jumbo-3 (with a change to
params.h and any docs), with no functionality change, but simply converting
into the 'plugin' format.

magnum and I have been working on the plugin format's for a while, and feel
comfortable that they are working well. It really makes life so much easier
for people working on existing or especially new formats.  Once this rolls
out, most of the jumbo formats simply are named in a special way, and that
is it.  There is NO patching of the makefile to add any new .o file.  There
is no patching (in 2 places) of john.c to properly load in the format.  The
change to options was removed a couple jumbo's ago (thanks to magnum), so
that 3rd item has already been removed.  Thus now, simply name a format to
*_fmt_plug.c and it will 'work' if it contains the proper stuff on the
inside.

This makes it very trivial to take an existing format, copy the .c file,
change the starting signature a little, and work on the format, while at the
same time, keeping the original format running.  Works great for trying out
performanace enhancements. Also works wonderful to simply send someone else
a .c file by itself, and have it build and work correctly, by them just
putting the .c file into ./src and running make.

Jim.