Date: Tue, 2 Aug 2011 12:42:01 +0400
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: crypt-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Yuri's Status Report - #12 of 15

Yuri, David -

On Tue, Aug 02, 2011 at 05:22:45AM -0300, Yuri Gonzaga wrote:
> I started to integrate JtR with one core using the patched provided.
> However, I can't get sucess in compiling all together.
> It was possible to generate *.o files from $(PICOBASE)/software/source.
> But, calls to JtR's Makefile are getting a lot of strange errors I couldn't
> overcome until now.
> Maybe, the mixture of JtR's C code with Pico's C++ one is causing this
> problem in compilation.
> A log file is attached as a way to help me to fix this issue.

Unfortunately, it is nearly impossible to help you without seeing the
corresponding source code changes as well.  Can you please post a
"patch" showing your changes to BF_std.c (generate it with "diff -u")?

Per David's comment from a week ago, are you sure you're including
header files for the API rather than those for the drivers?

David - may I have access to the server that Yuri is developing on?

It is a pity that the multi-core support won't be ready/usable for
KoreLogic's "Crack Me If You Can" contest at DEFCON starting in just two
days from now:

http://www.openwall.com/lists/announce/2011/08/02/1

As to the main focus of our project, originally defined as password
hashing for servers, I think we need to build such a password hashing
method on top of Eksblowfish cores in FPGA initially - for proof of
concept, to have a baseline, and to experiment with the interfaces.  So
we will be doing multiple instances of Eksblowfish running in parallel
even as part of a single password hash computation.  I still do think
that we'll need to move to something using the FPGA more optimally, but
we may do it at a later time - beyond GSoC.  At this point, it is
unrealistic that we'll be able to complete this move in August, so it
makes more sense to build upon Yuri's existing work on Eksblowfish.

Thanks,

Alexander