Date: Wed, 16 Apr 2008 19:36:12 +0400
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: xvendor@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: distributions at l.fd.o

Hi,

It was just pointed out to me, thanks to the Mandriva folks, that a list
similar to xvendor was created recently:

Here's what Lucas, who hosts that list, wrote to me regarding us having
two similar lists:

"I can only see two solutions here:
(1) continue to co-exist
(2) merge the lists

If you choose (1), I don't think that imposing some policies on the two
lists, like "focus on desktop issues" for distributions@...d.o will work.

If you choose (2), I think that we should keep distributions@...d.o:
- there are 129 subscribers on it, vs 40 on xvendor.
- freedesktop.org sounds like a better umbrella project for distro
  collaboration."

My opinion is that it only makes sense to continue with two lists if we
can actually identify how the lists will differ from each other, and I'd
be fine with having the desktop-specific cross-vendor issues (including
graphical boot, interoperability and licensing of desktop-specific apps,
etc.) being the topic for distributions@...d.o rather than xvendor (and
I think that will work most of the time).

In case one of the lists has to "win", I agree that having more
subscribers on distributions@...d.o is a valid argument in favor of that
list.  However, I am also interested in how many different distributions
are represented on that list.  Given that no-one who was on xvendor knew
of the other list, and we had people from 10+ different distros in here
(probably more like 15), I suspect that fewer distros (but perhaps more
non-distro projects?) are currently on distributions@...d.o.

Suggestions / votes by the current xvendor members are appreciated.

BTW, we're up to 43 subscribers now.

Thanks,

Alexander