Date: Thu, 11 May 2006 11:55:56 +0000 (UTC)
From:  mrr2ro <mrr2ro@...os.net>
To: popa3d-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject:  Re: popa3d that *doesn't* use syslog for logging?

There are 2 ways to do this!  --I am talking SLACKWARE --

recompile popa3d... Before it, RTFInstall instructions-- change the logging
facility on params.h from default to

#define SYSLOG_FACILITY                 LOG_LOCAL0

create an entry for that login facility on your /etc/syslog.conf file.

Restart syslog (slackware = /etc/rc.d/rc.syslog restart)
I have used slackware since early 1990s and taht is all I am talking about here,
do not ask me about any other distros becaue I do not know them.

The other and for sure shortcut is.

Stop syslog (Slackware = /etc/rc.d/rc.syslog stop)

Make the following entry on your /etc/syslog.conf file

#vi /etc/syslog.conf

!!popa3d
*.*                      -/var/log/popa3d

Since /var/log/messages is set to capture anything info or higher or lower than
warn, then make sure popa3d is excluded by entering the line.

;popa3d.none;

After the change, your default line on messages should read something like

#Log anything 'info' or higher, but lower than 'warn'.
#Exclude authpriv, cron, mail, and news.  These are logged elsewhere.
*.info;*.!warn;\
          auth.none;mail.none;popa3d.none;news.none    -/var/log/messages

Save the changes

Create the /var/log/popa3d file (slackware = touch /var/log/popa3d)
Make sure the perimission for the file are set correctrly using chown

Restart syslog (slackware = /etc/rc.d/rc.syslog start)

Monitor the activity of your new log file

(slackware = tail –f /var/log/popa3d)

Log to your pop-mail client, check for new messages and see the activity logged
in /var/log/popa3d.