Date: Wed, 31 Aug 2005 15:27:31 +0000 (UTC)
From:  Jim Mirick <jrmpublic@...thlink.net>
To: popa3d-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject:  Re: connecting via Thunderbird

Solar Designer <solar@...> writes:

> On Tue, Aug 30, 2005 at 08:26:19PM +0000, Jim Mirick wrote:
> > Thunderbird can connect to other mail servers with no problem,
> > so it wouldn't seem to be the client program, but good point
> > of course. . .
>
> Given that you're on RHEL, this is very likely a packet filtering
> ("firewall") setup issue, as correctly pointed out by Dave Oksner.
> Please invoke the following command as root and see if it helps:
>
> 	service iptables stop
>
> Please also review your logs and let us (popa3d-users) know if you find
> any messages from popa3d in there.

A little more diagnosis:  /var/log/messages has some things from popa3d, as
when I log on as root and then execute popa3d from the command line to
look at my mailbox (I say USER JRM etc.).  Looks OK.

I also executed the iptables command below, had no apparent effect.

However, if I log on to Linux as JRM and try to execute popa3d it says
"command not found", even if I cd to /usr/sbin where the executable is.
So I suspect there is a permissions problem.  I have changed the permissions
for popa3d in /usr/sbin to "everybody can execute" it still won't execute it
for anybody except root.

Is there a config file for popa3d somewhere?  I can't find one.  How does it
know what to do?

Thanks to everyone for continuing assistance . . .