Date: Sat, 23 Aug 2003 01:26:37 +1000
From: "Daniel" <email@...vatecage.com>
To: popa3d-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Built In SSL Support

>>On 22/08/2003 at 3:16 am Solar Designer wrote:
>
>It's part of the design of Unix that multiple small programs are used
>to solve more complex tasks.

Yes, I understand this. I don't think this concept should apply here.
I think implementation for the secured authentication component
I'm looking for needs to be integrated. To me it's something that
is missing in the design. So better to redesign than find other
programs to solve the problem.

The unix concept you're referring to is not necessarily best practice.

>I find it unfortunate that things such as STARTTLS/STLS prevent
>complete separation of the encryption layer from SMTP, POP3 and IMAP
>protocol implementations in all cases.

I'm not sure what you mean here.

>> > pop3s would be supported on OpenBSD out of the box (stunnel will
>> > hardly ever get into their base tree).
>>
>> stunnel will *never* get into the base tree of OpenBSD ;-)
>
>Perhaps.  But if licensing was the only reason, that could be fixed.

Yes licensing is the main issue. But not the only issue.
I expect more innovation than that from the OpenBSD people ;-)

>Oh, and in my opinion there're cases when GNU GPL is preferable over
>a BSD license, although I usually choose the latter.  But that's off
>the topic of this mailing list.

Yes I agree. The GPL will prove useful for IBM.

(GNU/GPL) - Here is my code .... NOW GIVE ME YOUR CODE!
(BSD LICENCE) - Here is my code.

;-)

hotdiggedydog (Daniel)
[ www.thebsdwindow.com ]