Date: Thu, 14 Aug 2003 13:01:01 +1000
From: "Daniel" <email@...vatecage.com>
To: popa3d-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Built In SSL Support

>> How difficult would it be to incorporate OpenSSL support
>> into popa3d?

>Depends if you do it properly or not.

Properly, is probably the best way to go ;-)

>OpenSSL itself is not generally code that is trusted. From what
>I've heard, this is the reason that TLS for postfix is done in
>3rd party patches.

Yes. This is an important point. Especially considering it's current
build number. If you run it on OpenBSD you're less likely to have
problems though (from a security point of view). A little plug there ;-)

I don't think the OpenSSL library is defective though.
But that topic is for another list.

I'll take the limited response I've got so far as a *no*.

pop3 with ssl/tls support is increasingly important, vital even.
(Same with smtp ssl/tls enabled client authentication.)

At this stage I'm just interested in the authentication component, not
the transmission of email. The email gets sent around the world in clear
text anyway, so no point in wasting time there. But I suppose the SSL
enabled email clients use an *all or nothing* approach ??

Open Standards are important of course.
Maybe it's time for RFC 1939 to progress onwards or move out of the way.

One thing is sure. Sending usernames and passwords around in
clear text is no longer suitable for networking in todays world.

If only I were a programmer instead of a system administrator.
Then I'd do it myself.
Perhaps studying the Apache mod_ssl implementation
would be a good start. Non-GPL code is the way to go.

anyway, thanks for your thoughts.

hotdiggedydog (Daniel)
[ www.privatecage.com ]
[ www.thebsdwindow.com ]