Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2003 12:33:11 +1000
From: "Daniel" <email@...vatecage.com>
To: popa3d-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Built In SSL Support

>Why not ? Using either of these solutions simplify the job of
>popa3d considerably. Stunnel chroots and drops privileges.
>Popa3d employs privilege separation techniques, this means
>a mininimum amount of code is run with privileges. This is
>the way I want applications on my machines to run.

It may have come across as though I was having a bash
at popa3d. This is not really my intention.

I've been using it for some time. Very happily.

And I'm somewhat familiar with it code and operations now.

I'm just asking if popa3d has, or will be getting SSL support.

(Of course I mean OpenSSL).

It seems very practical to me that a program implementing
the very, very popular pop3 protocol would, in this day,
have some means by which to *prevent* the transmission
of confidential authentication information in clear plain text.

As a proud supporter of BSD style licensing, I hope ya' all excuse
me for saying I'm trying to aviod the GNU/GPL Stunnel.
(this is a personal preference not a bash at gnu.)

My intention is to find SSL aware applications with a
switch on, switch off feature for SSL.

Preferably, switched *on* by default.

>Crucial ? I've been running pop3 + ssl using stunnel for months
>now on quite a few machines. It doesn't seem like I'm missing
>anything crucial.

Applications should be secure by default. This is what's crucial for *me*.

Stunnel is implementing something that should already exist in the
application. That's my view.

I've been playing around with ipop3d which gives SSL out of the box.

Unfortunately I know little about this implementation.

I would prefer to keep using popa3d.

But this SSL thing is increasingly important to how I present
*secure solutions* to my clients.

regards,
hotdiggedydog (Daniel)
[ www.privatecage.com ]