Date: Tue, 15 Apr 2003 18:06:53 +0200
From: Torgny Bjers <tb@...s.se>
To: popa3d-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: popa3d syslogs / sendmail POP-before-SMTP

At 19:56 2003-04-15 +0400, Solar Designer wrote:
>On Tue, Apr 15, 2003 at 05:44:21PM +0200, Torgny Bjers wrote:
> > I gave up on whoson. After a clean compile and install of whoson (I got
> > Slackware 9.0), I fired up the whosond daemon, but whenever I connected to
> > it, either by checking my POP mail (after having correctly patched both
> > Sendmail and popa3d), or by calling whoson directly, it segfaulted. Boom.
>
>:-(

Not only that, the TCP/UDP modes lagged my server down tremendeously, could
perhaps have been something with the firewall, but I didn't specify any
external IPs, so I don't see how that could affect it at all.  The stream
worked, but the unix socket wouldn't work at all.  So I think I will
definitely run a script like poprelayd instead of using whoson.

>It would help if you report this to Eugene Crosser <crosser at average
>dot org>, preferably including a backtrace ("bt" in gdb) off a debugging
>build (with -g, without -s or -fomit-frame-pointer).

I'll try that tonight if I remember.

> > So I scrapped it and installed ipop3d instead, which worked on the fly
> with
> > poprelayd. I'll attempt the patch for the log messages, though.
>
>I've counted your vote for changing the log message in the official
>popa3d.  It's a trivial change, but previously I hesitated to do it as
>it would mean duplicate logging of the IP address information (it's
>not good to not log connecting addresses prior to authentication as
>well).

It would be great if you could indeed print out the IP address in the
authentication log messages, since that would simplify usage of
POP-Before-SMTP scripts among other things.  If that'll change in the next
release of popa3d, then I'm switching back. *lick*

Regards,
Torgny