Date: Sat, 12 Apr 2003 22:11:10 +0400
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: popa3d-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Handling the 'DON'T DELETE THIS MESSAGE -- FOLDER INTERNAL DATA' message?

On Sat, Apr 12, 2003 at 05:33:20AM -0700, Dan Hollis wrote:
> The problem is we would like to migrate our system from uw-imap to popa3d,
> but unless it ignores/deletes the imap message, we cannot migrate. That's
> the show stopper preventing us from using popa3d.

OK, I understand that now.

> There does not seem to be straightforward way to remove the imap message
> from all 10,000+ user mailboxes on the system

A shell script around formail(1) (from procmail package)?

Alternatively, I may just modify my private-use mailbox cleaner
program (based off popa3d sources) for your task and either provide it
to you or run it on your 10k mailboxes myself.  We're using it on
about as many mailboxes here (to purge old e-mails and free disk
space).  I'd estimate that to take about 2 hours of my time, see
http://www.openwall.com/services/

> (and i think, uw-imap isn't
> the only thing that writes these too... some mua's like pine write it..?)

No, PINE doesn't.  I think UW-IMAP is the only one.

> How much complexity would it add to popa3d?

I estimate it as a few percent added to mailbox.c's already too
complicated logic.  Most people are already getting lost in that code.

But if you really want to approach the problem this way, I may do it
for you at my consulting rate (see the URL above).

--
/sd