Date: 28 Jan 2003 21:49:09 -0500
From: Michael Dengler <mike@...es.com>
To: popa3d-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: [popa3d] Please save my sanity!!!

Hi,

I am attempting to use popa3d and POP-BEFORE-SMTP.
Here's what I've done:

grabbed the source from openwall (v0.4 because it is the only one that
has the P-B-SMTP patch. Is P-B-SMTP built-in in v0.5.1? If so how do I
enable it?).

Followed the INSTALL instructions and the instructions in the P-B-SMTP
patch (editted params.h, Makefile to be a non-standalone
POP_STANDALONE=0)

did "makemap hash /etc/mail/popauth </dev/null" to create the popauth.db

made sure inetd.conf was correct and re-started.

OK....

No matter what e-mail client I use, I get a "Server un-expectedly closed
the connection" (or something similar)

So I tried this:

root@...mail:/usr/sbin# telnet newmail 110
Trying 192.1.200.175...
Connected to newmail
Escape character is '^]'.
+OK
USER mike
+OK
PASS 4mike2know
Connection closed by foreign host.

root@...mail:/usr/sbin#

When I look at the logs, all I see is

"secure:Jan 28 19:46:03 newmail popa3d[23477]: connect from
192.1.200.175"
(one entry for every time I try to connect)

NOTE** If I enter the incorrect PASS (ie PASS blahblah) apop3d responds
with -ERR bad password...like it should.

So....thinking it may be some other mis-behaving program, I recompile
popa3d WITHOUT P-B-SMTP. Replace the binary and try my little telnet
test again.....no problem...popa3d picks up and accepts my USER and PASS
and operates normally.

What am I doing wrong???

Any help is greatly apreciated!

Thanks