Date: Wed, 30 Oct 2002 05:06:02 +0300
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: popa3d-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: "failed or refused to load"

On Tue, Oct 29, 2002 at 07:03:27PM +0100, Hatto von Hatzfeld wrote:

Hi,

> For some reason (a problem of procmail or formail, or of popa3 itself?)

Please mention the versions of everything involved, including the OS.

> in my mailboxes there is sometimes (hard to verify under which
> conditions) an initial empty line (ASCII 10), either before the first
> "From " or as only contents of a mailbox.

I suggest that you start by making sure all of the software on your
system that may access mailboxes uses compatible locking.

> When a pop3 client tries to fetch mails, popa3 crashes and sends a
>    Failed or refused to load /var/spool/mail/somebox
> to syslog. I have written a small perl script which is checking all
> mailboxes regularly by a cron job and repairs them; but that does not
> seem to be a good solution... :-)

Indeed.

> So, do you have any hints, what to do?

Best is to locate and eliminate the problem such that mailboxes aren't
corrupted in this way.

> Or could someone tell me what to do to convince popa3d to delete initial
> empty lines in a mailbox?

That would be a modification to the state machine implemented in
mailbox.c: mailbox_parse().  Not too hard to do, but still some work.

--
/sd