Date: Sat, 19 Oct 2002 17:10:25 +0400
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: popa3d-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Mailbox openbsd question

On Sat, Oct 19, 2002 at 01:28:53PM +0100, Dave Rocks wrote:

Hi,

>  I'm using the popa3d that comes with OpenBSD 3.1 and I'm having a bit of trouble. I use qmail-smtpd that stores mails in /home/$USER/Mailbox & popa3d is looking to /var/mail/$USER. How do I point pop3ad to $USER/Mailbox?

In params.h:

| /*
|  * Your mail spool directory. Note: only local (non-NFS) mode 775 mail
|  * spools are currently supported.
|  *
|  * #undef this for qmail-style $HOME/Mailbox mailboxes.
|  */
| #define MAIL_SPOOL_PATH                 "/var/mail"
|
| #ifndef MAIL_SPOOL_PATH
| /*
|  * The mailbox file name relative to the user's home directory.
|  */
| #define HOME_MAILBOX_NAME               "Mailbox"
| #endif

you'll need to "#undef MAIL_SPOOL_PATH" and re-compile popa3d.

> The only documentation I have is 'man pop3ad' is there anywhere else I can look?

DESIGN, INSTALL, and params.h in popa3d sources.

> And one last question! what's the best way to start it? I currently run 'pop3ad -D' out of rc.local. I don't run inetd but I could start it out of there with or without tcp wrappers.
> Any suggestions?

Standalone mode is a little more efficient in terms of performance,
but takes up a little more memory for the master process if you also
run inetd anyway.  Also, popa3d tries to avoid some DoS attacks when
in standalone mode that OpenBSD's inetd doesn't.

Possible reasons to prefer running via inetd include:

1. Rare POP3 connections, no or little concern for DoS attacks on the
POP3 service itself, and the need to run inetd anyway.

2. The need for protocols other than IPv4.

3. Unusual application-level address-based access control.

--
/sd