Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2018 13:53:27 -0400
From: Matt Weir <cweir@...edu>
To: passwords@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Bloom filter patent

The earliest known mention of this approach for passwords that I'm
aware in academic literature was done by Stuart Schechter, Cormac
Herley, and Michael Mitzenmacher, and published in USENIX Hotsec 2010,
which Royce already referenced.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/research/publication/popularity-is-everything-a-new-approach-to-protecting-passwords-from-statistical-guessing-attacks/

Matt