Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2018 09:33:08 -0800
From: Royce Williams <royce@...ho.org>
To: passwords@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Bloom filter patent

On Mon, Oct 29, 2018 at 8:01 AM Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com> wrote:

> A couple of weeks ago, I learned that a company claims to have patented
> the use of Bloom filter for checking whether a password is known to have
> been compromised:
>
> hxxps://
> blog.shapesecurity.com/2018/09/26/look-ma-no-passwords-how-why-blackfish-uses-bloom-filters/
> hxxps://www.shapesecurity.com/blackfish/
>
> "Blackfish doesn't store passwords
>
> The security of the Blackfish system itself was the most important
> design consideration.  Shape's patented design uses a Bloom filter,
> enabling Blackfish to perform lookups of your user's credentials without
> maintaining a database of compromised passwords."

According to this cache of Passwords '14 proceedings, Blackfish was around
at that time:

https://books.google.com/books?id=iyXUCgAAQBAJ&pg=PA141&lpg=PA141&dq=%22passwords%22+%22bloom+filter%22

Potential other prior art and/or informative links, not yet analyzed (some
suggested to me off-list after a side query):

https://pdfs.semanticscholar.org/ce61/eef0efd3544c8df43324cbe4e05ba12a610a.pdf
(Spafford, 1991 - "OPUS")
https://docs.lib.purdue.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?referer=&httpsredir=1&article=1969&context=cstech
(Spafford, 1992)