Date: Fri, 22 Dec 2017 14:14:02 +0100
From: "e@...tmx.net" <e@...tmx.net>
To: passwords@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Authentication vs identification

> Although we probably do have some points of disagreement, I think that we both agree that
>
> 1. Identification and authentication, while often done together, are different distinct things.
> 2. A failure to understand the distinction has led to some truly terrible authentication practices.

you can view Auth as a special case of ID,
the one with the specific requirement: you need to extract some info
from the person who auth (or being auth, depending on which voice you
use in the definition (although i suggested to use active voice for the
person due to his uniqueness in the context (this probably makes my
wording unpleasantly unusual)))