Date: Sun, 29 Sep 2019 13:00:56 +0200
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: owl-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: x86 containers under x86_64 hardware node: threads don't work

On Sun, Sep 29, 2019 at 12:04:48PM +0300, croco@...nwall.com wrote:
> 2.6.32-042stab059.7.owl1 x86_64

> Okay, I'm starting to recall some detail about the kernel.  It is not the
> kernel version from the distribution, because the HN is now a netbook (sic),
> I don't remember exactly what; the default Owl kernel didn't see its
> ethernet card (atl1) so I had to rebuild the kernel.  Well, actually I
> failed to do that myself (don't remember what went wrong) and I had no
> possibility to investigate (my server was down, with all my sites and
> email, I had to prepare the replacement urgently), so Gremlin helped me and
> created the kernel binary.  I can send you the /proc/config.gz :-)

atl1 should have just worked in our standard kernels - it did for me.

Maybe you actually have atl1e?  If so, you needed "modprobe atl1e" as
that one isn't compiled in, but is built as a module.

> The simple thread demo that fails is found here:
> http://www.croco.net/qq/prod_cons.c -- it consists of one source file of
> 126 lines, implements the "producers&consumers" and is run like this:

For me, it creates the threads just fine in 32-bit container on 64-bit
host using our latest kernel.

> What's the difference between them? 8-()  Well, I'm completely confused.

I don't know what difference between the programs makes one work and the
other fail on your system, but from what we know so far chances are that
your kernel is somehow buggy in this respect.

Alexander