Date: Tue, 29 Sep 2009 00:57:57 +0400
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: owl-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: contrib php & apache-php

On Tue, Sep 29, 2009 at 12:32:05AM +0400, croco@...nwall.com wrote:
> I'm trying to setup a machine based on the recent Owl-current, and I'm
> facing a trouble with dependencies; namely, trying to install apache-php
> and php-* from the contrib/ section of the ftp site, I get failed
> dependencies such as
>
>         libreadline.so.4 is needed by apache-php-4.4.4-owl_add1
>
> which seems to be obsolete, as there's libreadline.so.5 in the system.

As you mentioned, you're trying to install these on Owl-current.  The
contrib packages are for 2.0-stable.  If you want to use them, then you
could consider, say, installing a 2.0-stable userland into an OpenVZ
container.  Frankly, these contribs are also outdated, which is highly
undesirable for things such as PHP.

> Definitely I can rebuild everything from sources; however, may be someone
> already has the appropriate packages?

You can try CentOS 4 packages.  I'd be curious to know if they install
and work on Owl-current.  We're not using mod_php ourselves (instead we
run PHP via our customized suEXEC wrapper when we need that, optionally
also with FastCGI), so we have not had the opportunity to test.  There
are proper links here:

http://openwall.info/wiki/Owl/packages

Unlike our contribs, CentOS 4 packages are actually maintained/updated.

> Or may be there's a package with older libs (they can coexist, afaik)?

There's older readline in Owl 2.0-stable.  You may try installing that
on Owl-current, but even if the packages "agree" to co-exist, the
resulting system would be weird.  I do not recommend mixing different
versions of Owl like that.

> If so, then please publish them, if possible.

Owl 2.0-stable is "published".  The contribs are for 2.0-release and
2.0-stable.  So everything is in sync here.

> Anyway, I strongly believe that packages distributed via the
> site (even contributed) should at least install, or not to be distributed
> at all.

Agreed.  If you show that a package does not install on its intended
version of Owl, then it is to be removed from contrib, but you have not
shown that so far.

Thanks,

Alexander