Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2007 21:01:17 +0400
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: owl-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Installation on RAID-problem

On Wed, Jun 20, 2007 at 06:04:11PM +0400, (GalaxyMaster) wrote:
> If I get it right you want to run RAID with Owl and you want to use mdadm to
> manage your array.  The mdadm package is yet to be included to Owl-current,
> so you need to compile it first.  You might want to do the installation of
> Owl in two steps:

Actually, Owl includes raidtools, which can be used instead of mdadm -
avoiding the need for two-step installation.  Yes, we're planning to
replace raidtools with mdadm.

Also, as you're aware (but others might not be), the kernel on our boot
CDs includes software RAID support.

In a previous message, Vsevolod wrote:

> > Prompt, please, as to me at installation of system to make it on RAID-sections?
> > I have created them, but at start settle and a choice of sections disks from
> > which are visible only is created RAID, and/dev/mdX are not present.
> > Only/dev/sdX. If to look in/proc/mdstat I see there my sections RAID.

Yes, the "settle" program won't list /dev/md* devices (it relies on
"fdisk -l" internally), so you need to use the "Use uNlisted partition
for root" and "Mount uNlisted partition" menu choices (just press "n"),
then enter your /dev/md* device names manually.

Vsevolod - please try to be more polite to other list members - avoid
overquoting (it is typically enough to quote a few lines of context only),
avoid overly-long message signatures, re-read your messages before you
send such that you don't need to resend.

--
Alexander Peslyak <solar at openwall.com>
GPG key ID: 5B341F15  fp: B3FB 63F4 D7A3 BCCC 6F6E  FC55 A2FC 027C 5B34 1F15