Date: Mon, 13 Nov 2006 12:20:11 +0100
From: Andreas Ericsson <ae@....se>
To: owl-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: VLAN + Owl

(GalaxyMaster) wrote:
> Maxim,
>
> On Sun, Nov 12, 2006 at 07:41:33PM +0300, Maxim Timofeyev wrote:
>
>>> As you can see I have no eth123 device yet, but I could set the
>>> appropriate iptables rule.
>> Well, but why our networks init script does not support VLAN?
>
> Due to lack of human resources I suppose.  Frankly speaking, it's me who
> should enhance network scripts in Owl (at least this task is assigned to
> me).  Unfortunately, I've almost no time for this in the last few months
> :(.  Yet, we aren't have an agreement on what we would like to see in
> our network scripts (some developers had proposed to create our own
> scripts from the scratch, others said that we might want re-use etcnet,
> there are also fans of old-fashioned network scripts who suggest to just
> enhance the old stuff).
>
> All in all, if you want to contribute some ideas/scripts/whatever we
> will gladly accept this :).

One feature I'd love to see is "if this interface doesn't have link,
take *this* and *that* action". I frequently switch between wirebased,
wireless and cellphone access. It would be sweet if my laptop could just
do The Right Thing(tm) depending on which network is accessible.

--
Andreas Ericsson                   andreas.ericsson@....se