Date: Thu, 16 Feb 2006 23:27:26 +0300
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: owl-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: installing on Compaq DL380 PIII 700 Xeon

This is somewhat off-topic, but I'll comment on it anyway since the
information is already on the list:

On Thu, Feb 16, 2006 at 10:25:19AM +0100, Andreas Ericsson wrote:
> I think Xeon is a dual-core
> CPU, but I'm not sure if Xeon's are available as Pentium 3.

P3 Xeons do exist, but they are completely different from P4 Xeons.  Of
course, they are not dual-core, nor do they support hyperthreading, so a
P3 Xeon appears as just one CPU (which it is) to the OS.

P3 Xeons are similar to "regular" P3s.  AFAICR, the differences are a
bigger L2 cache, official support for a quad-CPU configuration, and a
different slot connector (thus requiring special motherboards).

> >other times I got it to boot from the CD then it won't do anything from
> >there no fdisk etc.
>
> What output do you get from cfdisk? I'm fairly sure it doesn't say
> "I won't do anything" no matter what you try.

Obviously, fdisk would not work without the RAID controller driver -
there are simply no hard drives visible to the Linux kernel.

--
Alexander Peslyak <solar at openwall.com>
GPG key ID: B35D3598  fp: 6429 0D7E F130 C13E C929  6447 73C3 A290 B35D 3598