Date: Tue, 11 May 2004 02:20:54 +0400
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: owl-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Poldek, apt-get-like functionality for RPM

Hi,

Maciek, -- thank you for sharing this with owl-users, this is much
appreciated.

On Fri, May 07, 2004 at 01:43:16PM +0200, Maciek Pasternacki wrote:
> I use it on Owl for some time and it works quite fine except for some
> warnings related to usage of dummy Provides:/Requires: in kernel
> package.  It has BuildRequires: rpm-devel >= 4.0 but it builds and
> runs with rpm3 (it's not a misfeature, I consulted it with program
> author and rpm3 support is intended, but it seems nobody except Owl
> users uses it now, so there was nobody to test).

Oh.  We'll be moving to RPM 4.2+.  The binutils update which went into
Owl-current a couple of days ago is the start of the big update to Owl.

> To build Poldek on Owl you need pcre library (working srpm is at
> http://leeloo.moo.pl/srpms/) and turn off BuildRequires on rpm-devel
> version in Poldek srpm (srpm with this BR turned off is also available
> at LeeLoo srpms page).

You could also build with --nodeps, although that would be a hack.

> If anybody wanted to test or use Poldek on Owl, it's out there and
> it's usable (at least for me).  I think it would be good to
> incorporate Poldek into the distribution and have indexes on ftp
> mirrors -- it would ease upgrade of the system, mixing Owl packages
> with locally rebuilt and third-party ones, and reduce bandwitch usage
> on mirrors.  Upgrading to current owl-current always was hard for me
> because I don't have full install (e.g. I don't use Postfix but
> netqmail) and had to manually select packages to upgrade; Owl lacked
> some automatic upgrade/install/package management tool and Poldek
> works just fine.

Oh, I don't think the current way of things is as bad as you make it
appear.  "mirror -e RPMS" in lftp works quite well.  I don't see how
you may be able to download less than that ...well, you may skip
downloading newer versions of a package you don't use, but that's all.
There aren't many packages in Owl which one may want to not use, --
most are essential to the system.

As for upgrading Owl while keeping your local alternatives to some of
Owl's packages, most of the time it isn't that hard.  You can edit
installworld.conf to use "-F" instead of "-U" in FLAGS and it will
work most of the time.  Yes, sometimes entirely new packages are added
to Owl and are required for the new version of Owl, -- in those cases
you do need the "-U".  But most of the time "-F" is fine and it won't
try to install an Owl package which you had removed previously.

But getting us Poldek or apt-get or yum isn't out of consideration.

--
Alexander Peslyak <solar@...nwall.com>
GPG key ID: B35D3598  fp: 6429 0D7E F130 C13E C929  6447 73C3 A290 B35D 3598