Date: Wed, 4 Feb 2004 17:49:45 +0100 (CET)
From: Andreas Ericsson <exon@....se>
To: owl-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: dhcp client

Maybe this little hack can do the trick for you.

It's one of many plugins used with the Nagios network monitoring system.
I haven't looked through the code (really ugly thing, but you might get
through it with gnu indent), so I don't know how it's working 'under the
hood', but it might just do the trick for you. Possibly with a couple of
modifications.

Mvh / Best Regards
Andreas Ericsson / Sourcerer
OP5 AB
+46 (0)733 709032
ae@....se

On Wed, 4 Feb 2004, Steve Bremer wrote:

> Hi,
>
> >Don't know of any, can't make any recommendations personally.
>
> Here is a pretty popular pppoe client:
>
> http://www.roaringpenguin.com/products/rp-pppoe/index.php
>
> >One other tip I will give ; make your dhcp client exit after
> obtaining
> >a lease ; otherwise it may be possible to send bad data to your
> client
> >and make it crash or worse...
>
> We have a problem where one of our ISPs requires us to make a DHCP
> request every 6 hours or they cut off our connection.  Even though we
> pay for a "business class" connection and static IP, we have to make a
> DHCP request at regular intervals or their firewall blocks our traffic.
> :-(  It's a terrible setup, but it's the only broadband provider in the
> area.
>
> Steve Bremer
> NEBCO, Inc.
> System & Security Administrator

View attachment "check_dhcp.c" of type "TEXT/PLAIN" (27893 bytes)