Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2001 12:41:27 +0000
From: Hans-Joachim Picht <hans@...ht.org>
To: owl-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: 0.2-prerelease/stable?

On Wed, Jul 18, 2001 at 11:35:18AM +0400, solar@...nwall.com wrote:

Hi,

> Is extensive testing not possible without older current-snapshots?
> There're not that many bugs being discovered to require exact version
> information in bug reports.

At this point I was thinking about the NetBSD project, just before a new
version (stable) comes up, the release a couple of current snapshots in
order to get bug reports from a certain version of code.

But I see your point and would agree with you, that it's not supposed to
be a distribution with hundrets of bug-reports released in a month :)

> It really makes sense to make a current-snapshot right before likely
> breaking current with newer glibc and Linux-PAM, but then it's not
> very different from making an 0.2-prerelease.  The only difference is
> that it wouldn't be maintained, is that what you meant?

Yes this is what i meant.

> > As most of the the major distributions gnu/linux distributions have a
> > stable and unstable branch, f.ex running kernel 2.2 and glibc2.1 in in
> > stable and kernel 2.4 with glibc 2.2.* in unstable a upgrade is possible
> > but a downgrade would be a bloody job.
>
> That's exactly my point, and the question was -- should we bother to
> release and maintain a stable branch that has everything we already
> managed to get into current before breaking the downgrade possibility
> and actually making current unstable for a few months.  Right now it
> has a few extra packages and extra features in older packages, and I
> expect it to have more before the big changes to core components.

I wouldn't maintain a stable and a unstable releases.

I'm after the opinion that current-based "stable" snapshots should be released
when core changes seem to be done successfully or are just ahead to be
changed.

These versions should not become separate (cvs)trees.

At least when the just current version is proven to be stable and is
used by yourself for your servers it's time for a more or less stable
current based release:)

I hope you got what I meant.
--
With best regards