Date: Mon, 27 May 2013 21:50:15 +0400
From: Vasily Kulikov <segoon@...nwall.com>
To: owl-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: PIE on x86_64

On Sun, May 12, 2013 at 23:07 +0400, Vasily Kulikov wrote:
> Anyway, I've finally compiled almost all Owl packages as PIE.
> Now I have to investigate whether anything was made much slower in case
> of -fPIE.

I've started with a simple building of binutils and measuring the time
of compilation.  The results are as following.

For x86 the slowdown is horrible: up to 16%.

For x86_64 the slowdown is much better but still significant: up to 3%.

I don't think we want our users to feel such a slowdown for every run.
Probably we should enable it for some network services only or disable
it for the toolchain and some very basic tools those don't process
untrusted input data?

--
Vasily Kulikov