Date: Sun, 19 Aug 2012 16:08:01 +0400
From: gremlin@...mlin.ru
To: owl-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: kernel.spec generated RPMs

On 19-Aug-2012 15:30:25 +0400, Vasiliy Kulikov wrote:

 > RHEL6'ish kernel packages firmware files located in /lib/firmware/.
 > In RH and OpenVZ specs they go to kernel-firmware package. I think
 > we should do the same thing.

Yes, that's reasonable.

 > We don't package kernel sources which are needed for building
 > external kernel modules. Other distros packetize kernel-devel
 > package, which includes not the whole kernel sources, but only
 > headers, Makefiles, and most of kernel scripts to compile
 > external modules.

Need to say, we have a big trouble with kernel development due to
/usr/include/{asm{,-generic},linux} directories instead of symlinks
pointing to ../src/linux/include/{asm{,-generic},linux}. For myself,
I use the following in my kernel.spec:

%define _srcdir %_prefix/src
%define _linuxdir %_srcdir/linux

%post headers
test -d %_linuxdir \
|| ln -s linux-%version-%release-headers %_linuxdir
test -d %_includedir/{linux,asm,asm-generic} \
|| ln -s ../src/linux/include/{linux,asm,asm-generic} %_includedir/

That means, these symlinks are created only if there are no ones.
Obviously, if I need to switch to another kernel, I simply modify
the /usr/src/linux symlink to point to the needed directory - that
allows experimenting with newer kernels, which I need on a regular
basis for supporting modern hardware.

 > Another package RH uses to build is kernel-doc. It includes
 > Documentation/ directory of kernel sources and kernel man pages
 > (section 9). While man pages might be not needed for Owl, but
 > documentation from kernel sources may be useful for sysctl setup,
 > sysfs, boot params, etc.

I think we should provide both, in separate packages (kernel-doc and
kernel-man).

 > RH also packetizes perf tool. However, I've disabled config options
 > which should be enabled for most of perf features.

IIRC, we don't use perf at all...

 > Note that almost 400 Mb for the kernel itself is mostly filled by
 > kernel modules.

They could be split to separate packages.

 > What do you think? Do we need -firmware, -devel, -doc, and perf
 > RPMs?

My suggestion:

kernel,
kernel-headers,
kernel-doc,
kernel-man,
kernel-source (full /usr/src/linux-%version-%release directory),
kernel-firmware (for code built as modules),
kernel-modules-xxx (for xxx support),
kernel-modules-yyy (for yyy support),
etc.

--
Alexey V. Vissarionov aka Gremlin from Kremlin
<gremlin ПРИ gremlin ТЧК ru>