Date: Sat, 29 Oct 2011 13:31:07 +0400
From: Vasiliy Kulikov <segoon@...nwall.com>
To: owl-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: syslinux

Solar,

On Fri, Oct 28, 2011 at 15:47 +0400, Solar Designer wrote:
> syslinux-4.04.lsm says:
>
> Platforms:      DOS, Win32/64 or Linux to install.  Linux, perl and NASM 2.03 or
>                 later required to build from source.
>
> but you were somehow able to build without NASM, right?  Is NASM
> required for some optional components only?

Yes, we don't build the whole syslinux and don't use NASM.

> Or are there precompiled
> object files?

Hm, right.  That's weird.  Fedora neither does "make clean" nor passed
CFLAGS the right way (I've already fixed the latter).  That's something
we want to consider in the future while importing their .specs.

> I haven't checked yet.  I am already a bit scared by the size of
> syslinux, though - the source tarball is over 4 MB under .tar.xz, and it
> uncompresses to over 20 MB.  Much of the size is in NIC drivers, which
> may be reasonable, though.

We'll probably want to support PXE boot, so they are needed.

Thanks,

--
Vasiliy