Date: Wed, 26 Oct 2011 12:25:06 +0400
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: owl-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: syslinux

On Wed, Oct 26, 2011 at 12:11:27PM +0400, Vasiliy Kulikov wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 26, 2011 at 12:02 +0400, Solar Designer wrote:
> > How large are they?
>
> $ ls -l RPMS/
> total 2524

Let's just get this in for now.  We may disable portions of it later.

> > > Also, Fedora has a patch for GPT support for 4.02, but it doesn't apply
> > > to 4.04.  Do we need it?
> >
> > We don't need it right away.  We'll need it later, but doesn't
> > up-to-date syslinux support GPT already?
>
> I don't think so:
>
> "author  Matthew Garrett <mjg@...hat.com>
> Thu, 25 Aug 2011 13:12:15 +0000 (09:12 -0400)
>
> Add support for building Mac and GPT bootable hybrid images."
>
> http://pkgs.fedoraproject.org/gitweb/?p=syslinux.git;a=commit;h=1abf7b206f5292e3c7e0d791476efacd76480bf7

Oh, that's not GPT support for hard drives, but something similar for
hybrid images (for CDs/DVDs and USB flash at once? or is something else
meant by hybrid?)

> I think Fedora will update the patch for 4.04 very soon ;-)

We may import the patch from them, then, but I doubt that we'd have any
use for it soon.

FWIW, I was able to boot our regular Owl ISO with LILO on my MacBook,
which uses EFI.  (I tried this a long while ago, but I don't think we
broke anything relevant since then.)

> > But please proceed to prepare us for this move:
> >
> > We'll need updates to Owl/build/ such that ISOs will be built with
> > isolinux instead of LILO.
>
> Do you mean I should prepare a patch for using isolinux for ISO
> generation before the glibc update or just a syslinux package and switch
> to syslinux after the glibc update and after relevant fixes/enhancements?

This is unrelated to glibc update.  Feel free to do these things in any
order.  Just don't remove LILO from the tree yet.

Thanks,

Alexander