Date: Sun, 24 Apr 2011 20:18:06 +0400
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: owl-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: OpenSSL Upgrade: installworld errors

Hi Simon,

On Tue, Apr 12, 2011 at 10:52:41AM +0100, Simon Baker wrote:
> Is there a recommended way to upgrade from Owl 3.0-stable 2011/03/12 to
> -current?  I'm hitting dependency issues with the old vs. new SSL libraries:

When you posted this initially, I thought that we had a bug.  Because
"make installworld" should just work, except when you're trying to jump
over a release (e.g., 2.0 to 3.0 should work, and 3.0 to pre-4.0
Owl-current should work, but 1.1 straight to 3.0 may not work).

However, at about the same time you contributed some wiki content on
upgrading via CVS and building from source.  Thus, my guess is that this
is why you ran into this issue.  Yes, when you build from source, you
may face issues like this with your upgrades once in a while.  We do,
and we resolve them for our users in our binary builds (by doing
multiple rebuilds in a row or by other means, as necessary).

So, to answer your question, the recommended way to upgrade is with
"make installworld" using our pre-built RPMs.  If you're an Owl
developer and/or if you feel adventurous, you may indeed go with source
level upgrades, and deal with these same issues that some of us have
already dealt with.

> Is there a recommended upgrade magic?  I can't see anything on
> http://openwall.info/wiki/Owl/upgrade , but if there's an 'official' way
> to upgrade rather than forcing it via rpm install I'll document it there.

Unless you're able to reproduce the problem with our builds of these
packages, which I hope you're not, there's nothing to document on the
"upgrade" page for this.  And you've already documented the issue and a
workaround on the "cvs" page (although workarounds that are quicker in
terms of build time are possible as well).  (Well, it was me who moved
that content to the "cvs" page.)

If you're able to reproduce the issue with our package builds, please
let us know.  We'll treat this as a bug and fix it.

Thanks,

Alexander