Date: Thu, 11 Apr 2024 14:40:02 +0000
From: Michael Knap <oss-sec@...ap.com>
To: "billchenchina2001@...il.com" <billchenchina2001@...il.com>
Cc: "oss-security@...ts.openwall.com" <oss-security@...ts.openwall.com>
Subject: Re: Re: CWE-121, CWE-122: libfreeimage 3.40-3.18/19+ buffer overflow

On Thursday, April 11th, 2024 at 10:02 AM, Michael Knap <oss-sec@...ap.com> wrote:

> [...]

I have reviewed the CVE range mentioned by Tianyu, and it appears the XPM buffer overflow
hasn't been assigned. The repository Tianyu linked does indeed include the sprintf buffer
overflow vulnerability in the XPM parser.

'''
### Vulnerability 22
Vulnerability Type: buffer overflow
Impact:             command execution
Affected component: PluginXPM.cpp, Load()

                    the Load() function has a stack overflow write vulnerability, which may lead to

                    a command execution.

Trace:
case10231: [WRITE,stack-buffer-overflow]@main->FreeImage_Load->FreeImage_LoadFromHandle->Load->sprintf
'''

The CVE has just now been assigned and credited to me,

but it seems it should have been assigned along with the others in that repository.
Not sure what caused the issue and why it wasn't originally assigned with the others,
reported by Ruanxingzhi. I will contact MITRE with clarification and request to change the credit.

The assigned CVE: CVE-2024-31570.

Best regards,

Michael Knap
Download attachment "publickey - oss-sec@...ap.com - 0xDF4CFAF0.asc" of type "application/pgp-keys" (641 bytes)

Download attachment "signature.asc" of type "application/pgp-signature" (250 bytes)