Date: Wed, 10 Apr 2024 21:56:47 +0200
From: Vegard Nossum <vegard.nossum@...cle.com>
To: oss-security@...ts.openwall.com, Alejandro Colomar <alx@...nel.org>,
        Joey Hess <id@...yh.name>, Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
Cc: Sam James <sam@...too.org>, Jonathan Nieder <jrnieder@...il.com>,
        Andres Freund <andres@...razel.de>,
        Lasse Collin <lasse.collin@...aani.org>, xz@...aani.org
Subject: Re: Analysis on who is Jia Tan, and who he could work for, reading
 xz.git

On 10/04/2024 20:19, Alejandro Colomar wrote:> On Wed, Apr 10, 2024 at
12:10:51PM -0400, Joey Hess wrote:
>> That's a theory. But many of the commits with author Jia Tan in
>> those time zones have committer Lasse Collin, and show signs of
>> being eg, git-amed patch sets which may have also been rebased. In
>> which case it would make sense that these have Lasse Collin's usual
>> timezone.
>
> Yep, I also had the feeling that some of those might be the result
> of git-am(1) (TBH, I had those feelings today, after the email had
> been sent).  In principle, git-am(1) respects the author date, but if
> some mails (assuming patches taken via mail) were somehow malformed,
> or Lasse had something misconfigured, it might have overwritten the
> author date. Maybe this helps Lasse investigate his emails, and see
> if this makes any sense for him.

Lasse has already hinted at the reasons for why some of these things are
the way they are. Spoiler: normal boring maintainer edits.

But I really think we ought to wait for Lasse's article before
speculating any further about timezones and commit logs: He has stated
on <https://tukaani.org/xz-backdoor/> that 1) an article is in the works
but 2) cleaning up the repository currently has priority, and 3) he
receives far more email than he can respond to.

Vegard