Date: Wed, 03 Apr 2024 16:07:45 +0200
From: Pierre-Elliott Bécue <peb@...ian.org>
To: oss-security@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: xz backdoor prevention using hosts.deny?

Stephen John Smoogen <smooge@...il.com> wrote on 03/04/2024 at 15:38:08+0200:

> On Wed, 3 Apr 2024 at 09:07, Nick Sal <specialroumpa@...ton.me> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Assume we filter SSH access only to a public domain subnet using the files
>> hosts.{deny,allow} as seen below.
>> Would this prevent an attack if a malicious payload was *not* sent from
>> the allowed subnet?
>> Trying to figure out if an attack like this was still possible, for the
>> few days in March the backdoor was active and undetected in rolling distros
>> (e.g. debian testing).
>>
>> /etc/hosts.deny:  sshd: ALL
>> /etc/hosts.allow: sshd: "a_subnet"
>>

> Does Debian still link hosts.allow/hosts.deny libwrapper with sshd? [or
> does sshd pull it in from another source?] I know some distributions no
> longer use this method to limit controls.

❯ lsb_release -a
No LSB modules are available.
Distributor ID:	Debian
Release:	12
Codename:	bookworm

❯ libtree /usr/sbin/sshd
/usr/sbin/sshd
├── libcrypt.so.1 [ld.so.conf]
├── libz.so.1 [ld.so.conf]
├── libcrypto.so.3 [ld.so.conf]
├── libcom_err.so.2 [ld.so.conf]
├── libkrb5.so.3 [ld.so.conf]
│   ├── libk5crypto.so.3 [ld.so.conf]
│   │   └── libkrb5support.so.0 [ld.so.conf]
│   ├── libresolv.so.2 [ld.so.conf]
│   ├── libkeyutils.so.1 [ld.so.conf]
│   ├── libkrb5support.so.0 [ld.so.conf]
│   └── libcom_err.so.2 [ld.so.conf]
├── libgssapi_krb5.so.2 [ld.so.conf]
│   ├── libkrb5.so.3 [ld.so.conf]
│   ├── libkrb5support.so.0 [ld.so.conf]
│   ├── libcom_err.so.2 [ld.so.conf]
│   └── libk5crypto.so.3 [ld.so.conf]
├── libselinux.so.1 [ld.so.conf]
│   └── libpcre2-8.so.0 [ld.so.conf]
├── libsystemd.so.0 [ld.so.conf]
│   ├── libcap.so.2 [ld.so.conf]
│   ├── liblz4.so.1 [ld.so.conf]
│   ├── libzstd.so.1 [ld.so.conf]
│   ├── liblzma.so.5 [ld.so.conf]
│   └── libgcrypt.so.20 [ld.so.conf]
│       └── libgpg-error.so.0 [ld.so.conf]
├── libpam.so.0 [ld.so.conf]
│   └── libaudit.so.1 [ld.so.conf]
│       └── libcap-ng.so.0 [ld.so.conf]
├── libaudit.so.1 [ld.so.conf]
└── libwrap.so.0 [ld.so.conf]    <------------------
    └── libnsl.so.2 [ld.so.conf]
        └── libtirpc.so.3 [ld.so.conf]
            └── libgssapi_krb5.so.2 [ld.so.conf]

Seems it does.

--
PEB

Download attachment "signature.asc" of type "application/pgp-signature" (854 bytes)