Date: Wed, 3 Apr 2024 09:38:08 -0400
From: Stephen John Smoogen <smooge@...il.com>
To: oss-security@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: xz backdoor prevention using hosts.deny?

On Wed, 3 Apr 2024 at 09:07, Nick Sal <specialroumpa@...ton.me> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Assume we filter SSH access only to a public domain subnet using the files
> hosts.{deny,allow} as seen below.
> Would this prevent an attack if a malicious payload was *not* sent from
> the allowed subnet?
> Trying to figure out if an attack like this was still possible, for the
> few days in March the backdoor was active and undetected in rolling distros
> (e.g. debian testing).
>
> /etc/hosts.deny:  sshd: ALL
> /etc/hosts.allow: sshd: "a_subnet"

Does Debian still link hosts.allow/hosts.deny libwrapper with sshd? [or
does sshd pull it in from another source?] I know some distributions no
longer use this method to limit controls.

> Moreover, allowing only public-key authentication for SSH does not help,
> isn't this right?

Most likely not because the code is looking for a specific publickey to
unlock its payload.

--
Stephen J Smoogen.
Let us be kind to one another, for most of us are fighting a hard battle.