Date: Fri, 22 Dec 2023 13:11:02 +0100
From: Hanno Böck <hanno@...eck.de>
To: oss-security@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: New SMTP smuggling attack

In case this helps:

SEC Consult has not published a test tool, and it seems they have not
tested many mailservers.

I have tried to understand the attack, and came up with a preliminary
test script myself:
https://github.com/hannob/smtpsmug

This is pretty much work in progress, not really documented, and I am
still unsure what exactly the "right" behavior should be.
But I'm sharing it in case it helps others. I may or may not update /
improve it in the coming days.

By default it tests whether a server accepts the <lf>.<lf> behavior.
For testing the sending side, you will need to setup a receiving server
and analyze it manually.

--
Hanno Böck
https://hboeck.de/