Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2023 01:12:37 +0800
From: Aron Xu <happyaron.xu@...il.com>
To: oss-security@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: linux-distros membership application of openEuler

On Tue, Oct 17, 2023 at 12:51 AM Greg KH <greg@...ah.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Oct 17, 2023 at 12:15:30AM +0800, Aron Xu wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > On Mon, Oct 16, 2023 at 11:34 PM Demi Marie Obenour
> > <demi@...isiblethingslab.com> wrote:

> > > The result of this is simply that those who do not have access to
> > > lawyers on staff will not participate, which will reduce the value of
> > > the list substantially.  I suspect that most people who report
> > > vulnerabilities via distros@ fall into this category.  I know I do.
> > >
> > > Therefore, I recommend rejecting the application as too risky from a
> > > legal perspective.
> > >

> > Not matter what would be the outcome, I'd like recommend an article
> > from Linux Foundation which I think is a good read:
> > https://www.linuxfoundation.org/resources/publications/understanding-us-export-controls-with-open-source-projects
> >
> > I'm not a lawyer though, but here are a few cents:
> >
> > 1) There is no general restrictions against Chinese organizations and nationals;
> > 2) Open source software (which is publicly available) is not subject
> > to EAR (Export Administration Regulation of the US);
> > 3) According to § 734.7[1] of EAR, "knowledge with the intention that
> > such information will be made publicly available if accepted" is
> > treated as "Published" and is considered publicly available.
> >
> > If I understand correctly, distros list is targeted to open source
> > software issues with a policy[2] of "Please only use these lists to
> > report and discuss security issues that are not yet public (but that
> > are to be made public very soon)", then everyone could retain their
> > peace of mind.
>
> But note, the information is _not_ public for a period of time, and so,
> might fall outside of the information described above in the lf article.
>
> Especially given the content of the information as well, this isn't just
> "here's a patch to add a new feature for foo-baz" type of stuff.

That's actually the critical thing covered by § 734.7[1] of EAR
mentioned in the last message. The original EAR text says "knowledge
with the intention that such information will be made publicly
available if accepted" in the "Published" category, so it is
considered publicly available while in the process of getting actually
published.

> Again, if you have questions, please talk to a lawyer from your company
> as only they can answer it properly for your situation.

And again I'm not a lawyer for sure, :-)

Well I've contacted OpenAtom Foundation's lawyer and am waiting for a
response, but I'm not sure yet whether they would provide a public
response.

Regards,
Aron